Forklift is a vehicle that is used to push, pull, lift and carry weights. They are an absolute necessity in the present world. The warehouses depend on forklifts entirely. Moreover, different organisations, from airport to Construction Company, rely on trucks for daily operations.
Forklift servicing is very much similar to simple car maintenance. In the present era, the forklifts or the trucks are equipped with just the same features and equipment as the car. Although there’s a difference in the level of sophistication, but both require constant maintenance. Just like you maintain your car regularly, you check the water and other possible issues, these activities are required in the case of trucks too. Although the interval is different than that of cars’, they do require regular inspections and maintenance activities. And, just like a delayed task can cause failure in the case of cars, similarly, if an issue is not resolved completely in time, it can grow into a failure leading to disaster.
Other than the regular checkup, when a problem occurs in a forklift, troubleshooting from the beginning can take a lot of time. This can delay the operation of the organisation, resulting in a financial loss. So, to save some time, it is highly recommended that the truck be checked for any fault that was previously postponed and not completely corrected. A complete service can take a lot of time, but if the truck is checked for pertaining problem and there is one, it can not only save a lot of time, but also, it will solve the issue that could be causing trouble all this time. Below is a flowchart of the series of operation that need to be performed in case of a problem.
- Confirm the nature of the problem that is occurring.
- Operate the vehicle to check for the problem in a controlled environment. This can help pin point the exact issue.
- Take a close look to the maintenance history of the vehicle. See if a problem has been postponed in the past.
- If not, study the maintenance manual of the system and look for the problem in common problems mentioned.
- If you can’t resolve the issue by yourself using the maintenance manual, contact the manufacturer’s customer support.
- Do not use the vehicle until the issue has been resolved. Using it can not only damage the vehicle itself, but it can also damage your goods or any person operating it.
Tips to keep it cool
Often the most common cause of failure is overheating of the forklift. Since the vehicle is used daily for heavy-duty activities, it is common that they get heated up when used beyond the recommended usage limit. The trucks are usually designed to perform heavy-duty tasks, but like all vehicles, the trucks too have a limit and using them beyond that limit can cause serious heating issues which can lead to several other damages in the engine. If proper care is not taken, it can cause a fortune to repair the damages. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you regularly check for any heating problem along with performing the following tasks to avoid facing any such problem.
- Use the recommended engine coolant instead of plain water.
- Replace the hoes after regular intervals. The interval is usually given by the manufacturer in the manual.
- Keep the cap of the radiator closed and check it regularly to see that there is no leakage as it maintains the required pressure in the system.
- Keep checking the fan belts in regular intervals, as stated in the manual. Not replacing the worn out belts can lead to several other damages.
- Lastly, keep checking the coolant after regular intervals.
In-house Forklift services vs. Outsourced Forklift services
If you own some trucks or a fleet of forklifts, a very important decision that you need to make is, whether you’re going to go for outside contract maintenance or in-house forklift servicing.
Both the options have their pros and cons so to help you make the choice, we’re going to list down the perks of both of these.
- Flexibility and convenience in the schedule as any problem occurred can be dealt with immediately.
- A group of specialised technicians will be an asset to the company
- The in-house technician will be more aware of the type of forklifts used and their common problems.
- There will be no need to go through the history of the vehicle every time as the technician will be well aware of pertaining problems.
- Decreased expenses, as the service will be utilised only in times of need. No additional budget required for a whole department
- The technicians will be more qualified and specialised at their job.
- A regular maintenance plan according to your schedule with guaranteed results in a defined amount of time.
- Without having to worry about the servicing department, the company can focus on other areas of the business more efficiently.