Your Guide To Dealing With A Gas Leak

There is a good chance that you use natural gas to power a number of appliances in your home. At the very least, it helps to keep your cooker and your hot water running smoothly. While it is one of the most helpful resources around, these fumes can be quite deadly. A gas leak can cause fires, injuries, and even fatalities in households as well as commercial properties. Due to all of the risks involved, you should be fully aware of the precautions that you need to take in the event of a leak.

First things first, nonetheless. The best way to avoid all of this panic and hazard is to take preventative measures. One of the main reasons that such leaks occur is due to an improperly fitted hose for one of the appliances. This is why it is important to have well-trained gas fitters Joondalup handle such jobs. They will be able to ensure that all of the hoses and other parts are tightly fixed and that no vapours will escape.

Establish If There is a Leak

The first thing that you have to do is, of course, make sure that there is actually a leak. The most common way to identify if the vapour is dissipating into your home is by smell. On its own, natural gas doesn’t actually have an odour. However, companies add a discernible smell so that you can quickly identify whether or not there is any outflow. You may also hear a hissing noise from the direction in which the fumes are escaping. It is important to note that if you have been breathing in the vapours, there may be side effects. Dizziness, light headedness, and nausea are all symptoms of being exposed to fumes.

Take Precautions

Now, it is quite obvious that you shouldn’t reach for matches or try to light any other naked flame around the house. What many people are not aware of, however, is that electricity can be just as dangerous. Light switches and even doorbells can cause a spark which, in turn, could result in a fire. So, it is best to grab a torch rather than risk turning on the lights in your home. You should call Kernow Plumbing and wait until they arrive before you touch anything in your house.

Air Out Your Home

It is quite important to get the fumes out of your home. The best way to do this is to open the windows, doors, and other openings in your home. Once this has been done, you should step outside and wait in the fresh air. Under no circumstances should you remain in your home after a leak has been detected.

Turn Off the Main Supply

It is important that you know precisely where the gas meter is positioned. Once you have determined that there are toxic vapours spreading through your home, you are going to need to shut off the supply at the source. At the very least, this will prevent any more vapours from being released. Of course, you should remember that doesn’t mean that you or your home aren’t at risk any longer. Still, don’t turn on the supply until the professionals have checked everything out for you. It is a job for them.

This is what you need to remember if you are worried that toxic fumes are being released into your home.